Wittelsbacher Ausgleichsfonds, Munich
Staab Architects, Berlin
5 000 sqm
Building services costs
>2.5 million Euro
Scope of work
Building services design
1 - 9
Dating back to 1790, the "Alpenrose" hotel is situated directly next to the castles of Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein. As a "Royal Court Hotel and Guesthouse" its most glorious period stretched from the end of the 19th century to the first half of the 20th century. After that, it gradually lost its shine.
In 2009, the decision was made to completely upgrade the building complex and join its operations to the two nearby castles. Plans were made to finish renovating the “Hotel Alpenrose” and the “Jägerhaus” (hunting lodge) in 2011 based on the design of Staab Architects from Berlin. In addition to the Museum of the Bavarian Kings, the building now holds an exclusive hotel and high quality restaurant, along with office space for hotel and museum staff.
The new museum section, designed with a striking steel construction, was placed atop the hotel’s historic dining room and forms an ensemble with "Jägerhaus" (1750) and "Hotel Alpenrose" (1904).
Historic preservation of the protected monument was a prerequisite in planning the building services. The beam layers of all ceilings and roofs were incorporated into a 3D model, enabling comprehensive technical design solutions that conformed to all fire safety and engineering requirements.
This project provided for the perfect combination of modern and historic in terms of both architecture and building technology.